Distressed, Delayed, Disturbed and/or Dysfunctional Project Recovery
Delayed, Distressed, Disturbed or Dysfunctional Construction Project?
Is your commercial construction project delayed, distressed, disturbed or dysfunctional? Is your industrial construction project behind schedule with no plan for recovery? Has site work on your multi-family residential development been over certified and is the project over budget? Is your single family residential construction project facing complex legal issues and possible construction liens? Is the project in financial distress and has the timely flow of payments stopped? Are Change Orders, Change Directives and RFIs being issued excessively and the responses to same (or lack thereof) spiraling out of control? If you have answered yes to any of these questions The GeoFocus Group is uniquely experienced in analyzing and recovering delayed, distressed, disturbed and/or dysfunctional construction projects at all stages of the construction lifecycle.
The construction industry is also facing an unprecedented personnel shortage and complex construction projects are often left to inexperienced general contractors, construction managers, project managers, site supervisors, contracts administrators and trade contractors which causes projects to be severely delayed, deficient and or distressed leading to many construction project failures and suspensions. In the face of crisis and uncertainty, The GeoFocus Group provides leadership, experience and technical expertise. Our 50+ year record in the industry combined with our experience in the provision of technical due diligence and strategic project recovery, enables us to understand the issues that are associated with project failure and or suspension. With the priorities established and the issues deﬁned, we progress to creating, implementing, and then executing a recovery plan.
Examples of Delayed, Distressed, Disturbed and or Dysfunctional Construction Projects Recovery by The GeoFocus Group:
Instruction on behalf of a DEVELOPER. Following a significant delay and severe budget overrun, the developer looked for alternative solutions to completing their delayed and troubled project. The GeoFocus Group acquired control of site activities for the $19,000,000.00 Brand Name Hotel by implementing a project review and recovery process to monitor our clients’ project, identify possible intervention activities and to replace the existing Construction Management site staff. The project was successfully completed by our team.
Instruction on behalf of COMMUNITY LEADERS. The GeoFocus Group was instrumental in directing the assessment of the project which had been left dormant for approximately four years. The GeoFocus Group’s team of strategic advisors and construction managers assisted community leaders to position themselves to conduct a condition survey and defect analysis and eventually restart and complete the construction of the state of the art 165,000 square foot Mosque, community centre, school and world class library and research centre.
Instruction on behalf of DEVELOPER/LENDER. The GeoFocus Group was retained by the Developer to assist with project recovery activities and provide Construction Management and Contract Administration services towards the end of an extremely complex and technically diverse project. Various issues including complex financial and legal issues hampered the development until it was eventually sent into Receivership. The GeoFocus Group assisted the Lender through to receivership where the project was eventually and successfully completed. The GeoFocus Group also implemented an extensive claims and liens management system to assist all parties involved to revive the project.
Instruction on behalf of the OWNER. The GeoFocus Group was retained by the Owner perform an extensive critical path delay review, construction deficiencies assessment and cost overrun analysis. The GeoFocus Group also performed a detailed project oversight and control review. Our team was eventually retained to oversee and assist the Owner with all construction activities through to completion inclusive of claims management. The Owner was introduced to The GeoFocus Group through a related associate whom had utilized our team previously to recover mismanaged construction funds. In addition to implementing an expert Construction Management, Contracts Administration and Site Supervision team The GeoFocus Group also assigned a Litigation Support and Cost Consulting teams which essential in recovering a substantial amount of funds for the Owner.
Instruction on behalf of the OWNER. The GeoFocus Group was retained by the Owner to provide Owner’s Representation, Critical Path Delay Review and Analysis, Cost Overrun Analysis and to provide Contracts Administration and Oversight. The GeoFocus Group was able to successfully assist the Owner to navigate its construction contract with the design-build contractor it retained to construct the project to ensure that project delays and cost overruns were mitigated and the project completed as expeditiously as possible to facilitate occupancy.
Instruction on behalf of the OWNER. The GeoFocus Group was retained by the Owner to perform an extensive critical path delay review, construction deficiencies assessment, cost overrun analysis and eventually to prepare and execute a project recovery plan. Our team was eventually retained to oversee and assist the Owner with all construction activities through to completion inclusive of tendering, contracts administration, site supervision, project close-out and claims documentation preparation.
Is it to late or early to involve a delayed, distressed, disturbed or dysfunctional construction project recovery specialist?
The GeoFocus Group has been retained at all stages of the construction lifecycle from as early as permit submission to as late as the project closeout.
Recent distressed, disturbed, dysfunctional and delayed construction recovery projects include:
- multi-family mixed-use condominium development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the building permit submission stage.
- industrial manufacturing facility wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 25% completion stage.
- community center and library wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 30% completion stage.
- multi-family condominium and townhouse development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 35% completion stage.
- single family residential development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 40% completion stage.
- industrial and corporate office development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 45% completion stage.
- restaurant and entertainment venue wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 50% completion stage.
- brand name hotel development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 55% completion stage.
- restaurant and wine bar development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 60% completion stage.
- single family residential development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 65% completion stage.
- multi-family condominium development wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 70% completion stage.
- single-family estate home wherein The GeoFocus Group was retained at the 75% completion stage.
Our expertise and experience enables our personnel to offer advice at every stage of the property life cycle, including the provision of project and construction management from conception to completion, alternative financing arrangements, technical and environmental due diligence and specialist consultancy services.
Our distressed construction project recovery services include but are not limited to the following:
- Technical Due Diligence (including condition surveys and defects analysis)
- Financial Due Diligence
- Interrogation of the Construction Process (include site coordination review and consultant coordination review)
- Delay Analysis
- Delay Claim Preparation / Delay Claim Evaluation
- Critical Path Review
- Contracts Review
- Construction Claims Consulting
- Change Order Review
- Change Directive Review
- Schedule Review
- Application for Payment Review
- Holdback Release Review
- Deficiencies Identification Review / Rectification Management
- Recovery Plan Preparation
- Provision of Project/Construction Management Services for Recovery
- Provision of Site Supervision Services for Recovery
- Provision of Owner’s Representation / Project Monitoring for Recovery
- Expert Witness Services
- Expert Opinion Services
- Payment Certification
- Litigation Support / Claims Management
- Coordination of Distressed Construction Project Acquisition
- Coordination of Alternative Financial Arrangements to Permit Project Recovery
- Project Recovery
- Land Acquisition/Financing Due Diligince
- Pier Review Coordination
- Scheduling and Budgeting
- Tender Package Assessment/Preparation
- Contractor Selection
- Expedited Tendering
- Contract Negotiation
- Dispute Resolution Negotiation
- Contract Administration
- Construction Management
- Change Order Review and Change Order Management
- Cost Reporting and Cost Monitoring
- Application for Payment Review and Payment Certification
- Coordination of Warranties/Closeout/Training
- Dispute Resolution
- Claims Preparation
- Claims Management
- Consultant Management
- Consultant Coordination
- General Field Review
- Expert Opinion Preparation
- Expert Witness
- Delay Claim Management
- ODACC / Prompt Payment Assistance
- Adjudication Consulting
For further information on The GeoFocus Group’s Distressed Construction Project Recovery capabilities, please contact:
Roger Altobelli, Founder and Strategic Advisor: As The GeoFocus Group’s founding principal and in his current role as strategic adviser Roger brings to the table the value of his 50+ years of experience in the construction (general contracting and construction management), development (multi-family residential, industrial and commercial) and dysfunctional/distressed project recovery (litigation support and claims management) fields. Roger has provided strategic advice, direction, organization and operational support throughout the course of every project with a focus on projects valued up to $100,000,000.00+ and upwards. Roger has established a reputation for revitalizing failing projects and mitigating client exposure to risk and liability. Most importantly, Roger has a fierce reputation for completing projects in full compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
Adam Altobelli, BA (law), President, Certified ODACC Adjudicator: As The GeoFocus Group’s acting President and Chief Construction Manager Adam brings to the table the value of his 20+ years of experience in the construction, litigation support, expert witness and distressed/dysfunctional project recovery fields. Adam has worked with private and public sector clients, primarily providing advice on construction methodologies and strategic positioning pertaining to project recovery strategies, construction litigation support and claims management. Adam has established a reputation for mitigating client exposure to risk and liability through advanced contracts administration and risk-assessment techniques. From the strategic recovery of a flagship hotel in Vaughan (the Novotel Hotel Toronto Vaughan) to the delivery of an ultra-luxury beaux-arts condominium development in Oakville (The Randall Residences) Adam has been involved in all facets of the construction life-cycle from conception through to completion. Most recently Adam was retained to provide an expert opinion report to the Ontario Provincial Police.